Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"More Later" Part I (Knitting Olympics)

So, let's talk a little about the Ravelympics. The idea here is to start a project when the Olympics start and finish before it ends. But it's not a race. It's also not supposed to be easy. A little cat toy is not an option for me, but it might be for someone who just started knitting . . . or really hates cats, or something. My thoughts on the matter are several. I really, really want some half-finger gloves. I mean really, really badly!

The other thing I really, really want is a Laminaria. It's a large shawl. 17 days seems like a long time, but I'm still really not sure I could do it - it would only be my second shawl, and a really big step in skill level requirements. I think the gloves are a better - since apparently another part of the idea is that the project should be challenging, but not tear-your-hair-out, kill-your-family-members-for-speaking-to-you hard. I think I'll make the gloves, and also try to make some yoga socks. That should do for my skein of Noro sock yarn.

As part of my "training" for the event, I'm going to try and finish the projects I have open now. That is, my ribbon lace scarf, plain 2-at-a-time socks (hopefully I can then knit the yoga socks on the long circular) and my Swallowtail shawl. Oh - and the Monkey socks, but I'll be done with those by Wednesday. I guess this is a mini-challenge, since there's only 17 days left until the thing starts!!

So I guess the plan is knit like a crazy person until the Olympics, knit like crazy during the Olympics, and then after the Olympics, knit that Laminaria!! Wow - that's a total of 7 things to do!

1 comment:

cici said...

sounds like a plan ,, I am looking forward to it.:D