Sunday, February 10, 2008

Socks

Well, I've done it. I've finally taken the leap and entered that sacred order of knitters. I am officially a sock knitter. That's right. I've taken the plunge. First off , I can honestly say that's really in no way as hard as it looks. Of course, I have a bit of experience with working with double-pointed needles, but even so, all the things that people tell you are hard about knitting sock is not true. Turning the heel, for instance, is not difficult at all, it merely requires that you trust the pattern (so make sure you have a reliable one) and pay careful attention to what you are doing. I would suggest, however, that once you start doing the heel itself, that you not put it down until you have finished doing that part - because otherwise, you run the definite risk of setting yourself up for a major screw-up.
And the potential for such screw-ups is I think part of the reason people say socks take a long time. I haven't been able to work on my own pair since Thursday because I know I need an uninterrupted window of time in which to safely work that heel. Still, I estimate that between homework all day and classes tomorrow and more homework, that I'll be done with my first pair by Wednesday evening. (Though I hope earlier, so that I can wear them TO my knitting group!)

No comments: